- 1 Pint Strawberries, hulled & sliced
- 2 T Balsamic
- 2 to 4 T Sugar
Combine ingredients in a bowl. Depending on sweetness of strawberries use more or less sugar. Let sit for at least 1 hour but no longer than 4 hours. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Black Bean Burger Recipe
- Recipe can be found HERE
- I didn’t use the chili powder or jalapeno and it was still delicious!
- Make sure to let the outside get nice and crispy.
Chicken with Caramelized Cauliflower & Green Olives (Better Homes & Garden 3/2010)
- 1 head Cauliflower trimmed and cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 LB Chicken Breast cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 t freshly grated Lemon Peel
- 1/4 C Slivered Almonds
- 1/3 C Pitted Olives
- 1/4 C fresh parsley chopped ( I used Basil)
1. Preheat oven to 450. Combine cauliflower, 2 t olive oil, 1/8 t salt and 1/8 t pepper until well mixed. Spread in single layer on pan and roast 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
2. While cauliflower is roasting combine chicken, lemon peel, 1 t olive oil, 1/4 t salt and 1/4 t pepper. Push cauliflower to one side of pan and arrange chicken in single layer on other side of pan. Roast 10 minutes or until juices run clear and chicken is cooked throughout.
3. Meanwhile in food processor with knife blade attachment pulse almonds until finely ground. Add olives and parsley (or basil) and pulse until almost smooth. With machine running add 1 T olive oil until it’s fully incorporated, scraping sides of bowl as needed. Add mixture to pan with hot chicken and cauliflower and stir until well combined.
- 3.5 LB Whole Chicken
- 3 Carrots
- Baby New Potatoes
- 1 T Peanut Oil
- Paula Dean House Seasoning to taste ( Recipe Follows)
Preheat oven to 375. Slice carrots in half and spread around roasting pan with potatoes. Clean and dry chicken being sure to remove bag from inside of cavity. Set chicken in roasting pan surrounded by carrots and potatoes. Pour peanut oil into your hands and then rub liberally over chicken and vegetables. Wash your hands! Sprinkle chicken and vegetables with Paula Dean House Seasoning to taste. Bake for one and a half hours or until temperature reaches 170 and juices run clear.
Paula Dean House Seasoning is just 1 Cup Kosher Salt, 1/4 Cup Fresh Ground Pepper and 1/4 Cup Garlic powder. I keep it in a tupperware container in my pantry and use it in almost any recipe that calls for salt and pepper.
Marinated Flank Steak
- Recipe can be found HERE
- The longer you let the steak marinate the better it will be. I let it marinate for about 20 hours and it was divine!
Mom’s Crab Salad
- 1 pound jumbo lump crab meat
- 3 boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 t Old Bay
- 3 T mayo
Place crab meat in a bowl and gently run through with your fingers and discarding any shell. Try not break up the lumps! In a separate bowl combine remaining ingredients and then add to crabmeat. Combine gently, again try not to break up any lumps. Serve with saltine crackers.
Rosemary Garlic Pork Tenderloin
- 2 lb Pork Tenderloin
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 T Fresh Rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 T Olive Oil
Make a paste out of garlic, rosemary, S&P. Cut slits in top of pork. Press paste into slits. Rub remaining paste and olive oil over entire tenderloin. Place in ziploc bag and refrigerate for at least 2 hours up to overnight. When ready to prepare, preheat oven to 350. Bake until internal thermometer reads 160 degrees (roughly 90 minutes).
Stuffed Chicken Breast
- 4 chicken breast
- 4 oz feta
- 1 large roasted red pepper, diced
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Cut a slit into thickest part of chicken and push through with your finger to make it as deep as possible being careful not push the whole way through. Combine feta and red pepper and then divide into 4 equal portions. Stuff one portion of cheese mixture into each chicken breast. Season each breast with pepper (no need for salt as feta is a pretty salty cheese). Heat 2 T olive oil in frying pan over medium high heat and then place chicken in pan. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes on each side until juices run clear and cooked all the way through. Once cooked let rest for 5 minutes and then slice on the diagonal.
- 1 head of cauliflower
- a pat of butter or smart balance or promise, etc. (NOT margarine)
- a splash of milk or chicken broth
- S&P to taste
Boil the cauliflower with S&P. Drain and then add remaining ingredients. Mash with a hand potato masher or mixer.
Cauliflower Macaroni and Cheese
- Original Recipe can be found here. My version is below.
- 6 oz Egg noodles
- 1/2 head of cauliflower chopped
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded three cheese blend
- 3/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup reduced fat milk
- 1/2 T dijon mustard
- 1/8 c italian bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 400. Cook noodles per package directions. Add cauliflower to noodles for final 3 to 5 minutes of cooking. Drain. Return pasta pot to stove and over medium heat add 1 T olive oil and onion. Cook until soft. Add noodles and cauliflower back to pot along with cheese, milk, sour cream and mustard and combine. Transfer to shallow baking dish. Top with bread crumbs (may not want to use entire 1/8 cup). Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
Spinach with White Beans
- Recipe can be found HERE
Tomato Avocado Mozzarella Salad
- Tomato (or 2 or 3 depending on the size of the crowd you’re feeding)
- Fresh Mozzarella
- 1/8 C Balsamic Vinegar
Cut tomato, avocado and mozzarella into bite sizes pieces. Place in bowl and drizzle with balsamic. S&P to taste and let sit for at least an hour.
Green Monster Smoothie
(given its name by Jenna)
- Blender full of baby spinach
- 1/2 C vanilla soy milk (or the milk product of your choice ie., regular milk, hemp milk, coconut milk, etc.)
- 1/2 C orange Juice
- 1/2 T peanut butter
- 1/2 banana
- ice cubes
- Optional ingredients: yogurt, berries, ground flax-seed, protein powder
The trick with the Green Monster is to make it your own. Be creative and tweak the ingredients to your liking.
Blueberry Apple Green Monster
- Blender full of Spinach
- 1/2 C Blueberries
- 1/2 C Apple Juice
- 1/2 C Dairy Ease Milk
- Spoonful of Peanut Butter
- Handful of ice
Peanut Butter and Banana Oatmeal
- 1/2 C Quick Cook Oats
- 1/2 C Water
- 1/2 C Vanilla Soy Milk
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 T Peanut Butter
- Fruit of your choice (banana, strawberries, blueberries or all three!)
Bring water, milk and salt to a boil. Add oats and stir constantly. Just as the oats are reaching the desired consistency add remaining ingredients.